ZORum

Advanced search  

News:

Tired of Facebook drama and haters? Join ZORum and help us reunite the community.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Doors, Hood, Tailgate fixes  (Read 652 times)

zorproducts

• "Squirrel King" aka "MY" Boss man at ZOR
  • Administrator
  • Located in: Camp Verde, Arizona
  • "Adapt or Die" Don't believe me? Ask a dinosaur...
    • Zorproducts
Doors, Hood, Tailgate fixes
« on: December 30, 2014, 10:31:04 PM »

Describe the problem and the fix with as much detail as possible.
Stay outta my tree.
And the tree next to my tree and the trees next to that! Or any tree made out of wood for that matter!

nagtrainer

• Psychotic zuker
  • THG
  • Located in: Eunice NM
  • I am the PING master
Re: Doors, Hood, Tailgate fixes
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 08:54:29 AM »

Problem: stripped out window cranks.

Cause: stiff window tracks, plastic handles, bound up window regulator.

My solution:
After taking the inner door handle, door latch/lock cover, and the panel off, and the plastic wind sheet (if yours still has one). If needed remove the old window track felt and replace with a new one. Insure that the window doesn't shift, if so some minor adjustment is necessary on the removable track to take up slack. At this point it is a good idea to check the window regulator for missing, damaged, of worn out rollers, Lube the regulator (I recommend a good white lithium grease). Make sure the rollers ride in the track at the bottom of the window smoothly. Do this buy temporarily installing a new window crank and roll the window up and down a few time. if it seems to bind or is stiff check over all the adjustments and the tracks.

After everything is confirmed good, reinstall the panel, handle, and latch cover. Now for the good part, I found Yota handle work, but they are a loose fit and will strip again. Sometimes finding stock zuk handle could be a problem and they are also plastic splined lick the yota's. What I found to be a good tight fit, metal splined, and is somewhat stylish are Geo Metro handles. (yes Metro) they are the exact size, and inexpensive.

Dorman Part Number 83628.

A tech link that has Suzuki factory manual information for a small donation is
http://www.acksfaq.com

ZukieRen

• ZOR CLUB
  • Located in: South West VA
  • I am inspite of, not because of
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 12:15:52 PM »

Problem: Falling apart original door panels and stops and you can't afford the cool diamond plate ones just yet.

Solution: Make your own with thin plywood, staples, and either vinyl or scrap couch leather. It was pretty simple, remove the panels, being careful not to break the pins. Trace the old panel onto thin plywood or stiff plastic. Cut it out. Insert old pins into new panel slots. Put the panel face down on your leather or vinyl. Staple it on as you would tightening valve cover bolts or stretching canvas, work your way around on opposite sides so you get an even stretch. Plop it all back on. I didn't take pictures of the process, but here is the finished product.

Did the same thing for the door stop. Traced the rubber one onto 12oz leather. Cut it out and drilled the holes. (I carved grooves into mine to look like the original)Dyed it black. Attatched it back with the original hardwear. Care for the leather just like you would tack or boots.
(I do leatherworking, so it's what I have to work with. You can get scrap couch leather at some fabric stores by the pound. Same with quality vinyl.)

Still Zukin

• Administrator
  • Located in: White River, South Dakota
  • Dead Broke Zuker
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 02:09:00 PM »

Good job.
Never Squat when You Are Wearing Spurs

ZukieRen

• ZOR CLUB
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 03:12:38 PM »

zorproducts

• "Squirrel King" aka "MY" Boss man at ZOR
  • Administrator
  • Located in: Camp Verde, Arizona
  • "Adapt or Die" Don't believe me? Ask a dinosaur...
    • Zorproducts
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 09:27:17 PM »

Talented, did I not say so!
Stay outta my tree.
And the tree next to my tree and the trees next to that! Or any tree made out of wood for that matter!

ZukieRen

• ZOR CLUB
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 11:24:04 AM »

Thanks, MY :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up