ZORum

Advanced search  

News:

Tired of Facebook drama and haters? Join ZORum and help us reunite the community.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: ZOR heated/non heated seat swap kit.  (Read 3479 times)

zorproducts

• "Squirrel King" aka "MY" Boss man at ZOR
  • Administrator
  • Located in: Camp Verde, Arizona
  • "Adapt or Die" Don't believe me? Ask a dinosaur...
    • Zorproducts
ZOR heated/non heated seat swap kit.
« on: January 08, 2015, 11:57:12 AM »

For as long as this lasts, the people getting these seats are happier than clams in mud.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 06:41:38 PM by zorproducts »
Stay outta my tree.
And the tree next to my tree and the trees next to that! Or any tree made out of wood for that matter!

louissam81

• ZOR CLUB
Re: ZOR heated/non heated seat swap kit.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 12:09:47 PM »

I ordered up a set of heated seats from MY along with other products. MY as we all know goes by far beyond what we expect with customer service and support. MY asked me to be in the book, now here is my contribution.

How I wired up the heaters to work..

I got 2 of the recommended switch on amazon per MY (link below) and wired it up with a relay so it only can get power with the ignition "On". The ignition wire triggers the relay that has a connection to the battery and a 10 amp in line fuse. I'm using a 10 amp fuse okay as suggested.  I was able to discover how to get them to work...there are 4 wires...2 big 2 small and 1 big and small has to be grounded to a ground of your choice. You can do either but I do not suggest grounding wires with white coloring.

I believe (from feeling heat levels) the big wire is low heat and small wire is high heat so hopefully this helps...they work wonderful I can drive on a cold day with heaters on and not miss the fact samurai don't blow hot air from the vent only defrost...

Amazon link for switch

http://www.amazon.com/Sports-Imports-LLC-Illuminated-Heater/dp/B00F3DW354/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420770396&sr=8-1&keywords=heated+seat+switch

ZOR link for seat swap.

http://www.zuksoffroad.com/ZOR-Seat-Swap-kit-Limited-Quantities-next-years-may-not-fit_p_220.html
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 08:21:19 AM by zorproducts »

RezZuki

• ZOR CLUB
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 10:30:16 AM »

I agree, these seats are fantastic.  When I bought my Samy, it had the stock seats, and they were well worn in.  Still, I thought the suspension must be the problem with the terrible ride.  It was awful bad.  This being my first Samy, I just thought well that must be the deal.  So deal with it.  When I started looking for new seats, I was more interested in gaining more leg room, as I'm 6'-1".  I didn't even consider a better seat to have anything to do with ride quality.   I got the seats, put them in, and the difference is night and day.  They make the Old Man Emu suspension ride plush, even over rocks and washboard (aired down of course).  I cannot emphasize enough how much I like these seats!  Money well spent. 

I seen a set of the leather with the center cloth inserts at Petroworks, and I REALLY wish I'd bought that set up.  Those are some damn good looking seats.   

Prone to Roll Over

• ZOR CLUB
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 11:44:55 AM »

I recently purchased the heated leather seats and set off to get the heating elements wired up. I stopped at our local chrysler dealer and thought I could get the control module to make them work. Without getting all the electronics and computers, it wasn't going to be worth it and I didn't even think they would work. I wanted a high and low setting, so I created my own circuit. As of right now they are working great and very comfortable. I will post all the steps to get them wired up.

Each seat has 4 wires in the heating element harness. There are 2 tan wires ( these are for the thermistor that controls the seat temperature), a Black (negative/ground) and a White (positive). I didn't do anything with the tan wires, only the Black and White. For safety, I used the 10 amp fuse for the stereo as my circuit protection.

Parts you will need.
- 2 12volt relays
- 2 On-Off-On switches
- 2 resistors (I currently have 10K Ohm resistors but I'm still playing around with them for the Low setting)
- wire terminal connectors
- wire
- electrical tape
- soldering iron and solder (optional)

Steps for wiring the seats up.
1. I ran a power wire from the stereo fuse to terminal 85 on the first relay. Make a jumper wire from terminal 85 to 30 on the same relay. This will not only apply power to the relay when you turn the ignition key on, but will also provide power to the heating element.
2. From terminal 30 on the first relay, make another jumper and connect it from terminal 30 to terminal 85 on the second relay. And another jumper from 85 to 30 on the second relay.
3. Connect terminal 86 on both relays to ground. You will now have power to turn the relay on. To check, you can turn the key on and you should hear the relays click.
4. Now to get power to the elements. Run a wire from terminal 87 of the first relay to the terminal in the middle of the switch.

On my switches, there is a top and bottom. The top terminal is going to be for LOW. The bottom terminal is for HIGH.

5. Do the same thing for the second relay.
6. Run a wire from the heating element WHITE wire to the Bottom of the switch. (either side, doesn't matter)
7. Do the same for the other switch. Keep track of which switch is for which seat. You don't want to flip the drivers switch and the passenger seat starts heating.
8. Connect a short wire to the top terminal of the switch. Bare back the end. Push a resistor into the end and either solder it or wrap electrical tape around it.
9. Run another short wire from the other end the resistor. On the wire that is already going to the seat, cut a small section out. Bare back the wire after the resistor and wrap it around that cut out section and either solder or wrap with electrical tape.

When the switch is flipped to Low, power will flow through the resistor reducing current to the heating elements. When the switch is flipped to HIGH, power will flow straight to the heating element.

10. Connect the black wire at the heating element harness to ground. Make sure it makes good connection.

You now have the heating elements wired up. I am currently playing with the different resistors to control the Low setting temp. I currently have a 10k Ohm resistor and the temp is about 70 degrees. I will probably put a 5k Ohm resistor in and see what the temp will be. I may drop to a 2k Ohm after that or until i have a nice low temp.

As for mounting, I mounted the relays to the removable panel under the steering wheel. I mounted the switches one on each side of the vehicle temp/climate controls. Here is the circuit I created.

melbakid

• Sparky
  • ZOR CLUB
  • Located in: Southwest Idaho
  • Hey, let's see what's over the next hill!
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 10:16:34 PM »

Has anyone put the seat heaters in the cloth seats that MY sells? I just installed a set in my TT. When I ordered the cloth seats the website said the heated ones were only available in leather. So I ordered a set of seat heaters from Amazon. When they arrived they looked very nice. When I tried to install them in the new seats I found that that the fabric is bonded to the foam. I tried to separate the foam from the fabric, but the foam started to tear, so I quit before the seat upholstery was damaged.
I looked at the bottom of the seat and there is a webbed material that spans about 60% of the seat bottom. Putting it between the webbing and the foam would not allow all of the heater to be utilized, not to mention you would have to get the heat through the thick foam.

Any body got some useful tips?

This is what the seat looks like.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 10:20:00 PM by melbakid »
There are only 2  types of Samurai's: Those we need and those we want!
9/13 Goldilocks-1988.5 Soft top, 29's on 15x7's
2/15 Red Ryder-1988.5 Tin top 4.16 TC w/TT SPOA on stock springs, 29's on 15x8's, Calmini OTT, OME steering stabilizer, Mighty Kong II
11/13 1995 Kick 2WD 5SP 4DR (future parts car

MY

• Administrator
  • Located in: Verde Valley Arizona
  • Remind me to stop complaining IF you can't fix it
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 11:12:38 PM »

Yes you need to strip the covers off. Then you apply the carbon fiber pads just like Chrysler does.
Start by removing armrests. Next remove big square back. The square is plastic popped on corners, lift and pull away.  The. Start undressing the skin. Apply a thin glue to hold pad on replace and redress. The frames are incredibly well built to hold the seat. Of course the two side plastics come off. It is similar to a Samurai soft top locking lip. Just easier to do than install a soft top.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 11:14:46 PM by MY »
Stay outta my tree! And the tree next to my tree and the trees next to that! Or any tree made out of wood for that matter!

binky_rutledge

• ZOR CLUB
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 09:07:24 PM »

Myron wanted me to post up about my install. I have an '88.5 and was having some real trouble getting the drivers side into position in the sami. It turns out that my factory seat rails had a very tall tab on the adjuster side of the sliders. I ended up having to bend/remove the tab in order to not interfere with the new seats. I will post up pictures and make a better how to as soon as I have some free time.

melbakid

• Sparky
  • ZOR CLUB
  • Located in: Southwest Idaho
  • Hey, let's see what's over the next hill!
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 10:53:07 PM »

Myron wanted me to post up about my install. I have an '88.5 and was having some real trouble getting the drivers side into position in the sami. It turns out that my factory seat rails had a very tall tab on the adjuster side of the sliders. I ended up having to bend/remove the tab in order to not interfere with the new seats. I will post up pictures and make a better how to as soon as I have some free time.
I had the same problem with my seat install. I gently bent my seat tab over until I had enough clearance. I did not want to remove it in case I wanted to pull the new seats out and put them in another Zuk. This would allow me to reinstall the factory seats and have a functional set of sliders.

There are only 2  types of Samurai's: Those we need and those we want!
9/13 Goldilocks-1988.5 Soft top, 29's on 15x7's
2/15 Red Ryder-1988.5 Tin top 4.16 TC w/TT SPOA on stock springs, 29's on 15x8's, Calmini OTT, OME steering stabilizer, Mighty Kong II
11/13 1995 Kick 2WD 5SP 4DR (future parts car

Tamarack

• ZOR CLUB
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 07:53:59 PM »

My grey leather seats are arriving tomorrow...I can't wait!!!

zorproducts

• Administrator
    • Zorproducts
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 08:26:30 PM »

Not just grey leather. All they had was the premium soft smooth leather with heaters of course. Not pretty counting the money out to get those.
Stay outta my tree.
And the tree next to my tree and the trees next to that! Or any tree made out of wood for that matter!

zorproducts

• Administrator
    • Zorproducts
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 08:29:37 PM »

I have installed many and always just bolt the adapters on the driver side and that pushes the release down but causes no damage. What I have recently heard about is the lever that pulls the other side got in the way. If anyone else has that issue let me know.
Stay outta my tree.

Tamarack

• ZOR CLUB
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 08:33:06 PM »

Wow! Now I won't be able to sleep tonight!... sounds like I owe you some money though...

zorproducts

• Administrator
    • Zorproducts
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2015, 08:38:35 PM »

Nope it just how things worked out.
Stay outta my tree.

Tamarack

• ZOR CLUB
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2015, 06:44:33 PM »

I got the seats today. I am absolutely blown away with how nice these seats are! I'm going to install tomorrow!

Tamarack

• ZOR CLUB
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2015, 12:41:54 PM »

The seats are unbelievably nice. What wasn't nice is that my existing seat brackets were broken, so the installation started with a repair job
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up