ZORum

Advanced search  

News:

ZuksOffRoad is a great place to enjoy what you do and earn more than a good pay check. Certified Mechanic(s) could write their own ticket here.
MY

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ground squirrels beware!!!  (Read 327 times)

melbakid

• Sparky
  • ZOR CLUB
  • Located in: Southwest Idaho
  • Hey, let's see what's over the next hill!
Ground squirrels beware!!!
« on: May 11, 2015, 05:37:54 PM »

Needed a break from working on the Zuks. Saturday I went with my father-in-law and uncle on a ground squirrel safari. My uncle has a friend who has access to a big alfalfa operation that is overrun with ground squirrels. There was literally thousands of them. :-)shun  We went through 1300 rounds of 22LR, 17MII, and .223. thumbs up

Shots were any where from 10 yards to 200yds. I kept a Ruger Mark II pistol on my side just to try and pick off the close in squirrels. After a few shots I got the pistol sights dialed in. thumbs up Most shots were in the 50 to 100 yard range. My FIL and I started out with 10/22's and then on our fourth set up we moved to a location that was a long valley with a nice big hill for a back drop that allowed us to break out the big guns.

We both shoot Savage M12's in .223 with varmint barrels. His is blued and mine is stainless steel. My FIL has never varmint hunted before, so this was a new experience for him. He was not use to the fast and constant action with so many critters running rampant. The only problem we had was the constant wind. Any where from 10 to 25 mph! The one blessing was it was consistently coming out of the northwest. After the first session, we set up so the wind was at our backs so that we didn't have to compensate too much for windage.

After about 3 hours in the wind we decided that we would go into town and have lunch and get out of the wind. After lunch we were back at it again. The long valley was the most productive, we didn't move for three hours! ;D The carnage was unbelievable! :-)CG My .223 was so hot I couldn't touch the barrel. I would open the bolt and turn the loading port into the wind to help cool it down. My FIL liked the .223 because he said he didn't have to adjust for windage or elevation. His first shot with the Savage, he hit a squirrel at 100 yards and flipped it 4 feet in the air. He was mighty impressed. He has only punched paper with this rifle. So to go live fire on live targets was a real treat for him. He could never understand how come my uncle and I could have so much fun doing this! NOW HE KNOWS. :-)2tup Did I say my FIL is 80 years young. !:-)thold Well all good things must come to an end. After 6 hours of fighting the wind and dust with burning eyes and sunburns we headed home with an hour and a half drive ahead of us. It was a VERY GOOD DAY. The only bummer now is I have a long gun cleaning session ahead of me today. :P
There are only 2  types of Samurai's: Those we need and those we want!
9/13 Goldilocks-1988.5 Soft top, 29's on 15x7's
2/15 Red Ryder-1988.5 Tin top 4.16 TC w/TT SPOA on stock springs, 29's on 15x8's, Calmini OTT, OME steering stabilizer, Mighty Kong II
11/13 1995 Kick 2WD 5SP 4DR (future parts car

The PHLOOP

• Administrator
  • Located in: ORYGUN
  • THE SPAMINATOR
Re: Ground squirrels beware!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 06:28:00 PM »

Sounds like a good time. And it sounds like the FIL had a great time, them old codgers get obsessed, just letting you know now.
DON"T DIE A VIRGIN, TERRORISTS ARE UP THERE WAITING FOR YOU.

Stupidity Should Hurt

Still Zukin

• Administrator
  • Located in: White River, South Dakota
  • Dead Broke Zuker
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 08:04:16 PM »

Thats sounds like too much fun. Glad the FIL had a good time too.
Never Squat when You Are Wearing Spurs

zorproducts

• "Squirrel King" aka "MY" Boss man at ZOR
  • Administrator
  • Located in: Camp Verde, Arizona
  • "Adapt or Die" Don't believe me? Ask a dinosaur...
    • Zorproducts
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 09:25:55 PM »

I am so excited when I get a couple minutes to plink cans with air gun. Gotta stay sharp. Sounds like fun to the maximum
Stay outta my tree!
And the tree next to my tree and the trees next to that! Or any tree made out of wood for that matter!
Pages: [1]   Go Up