ZORum

Advanced search  

News:

Tired of Facebook drama and haters? Join ZORum and help us reunite the community.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First maintenance done by me  (Read 5545 times)

RJG79

• NWS
First maintenance done by me
« on: November 29, 2015, 07:40:37 AM »

And boy did it need it.. The Italians are not as proactive as we are about preventative maintenance.. The next couple oil changes I plan on doing at 3k kilometers, the oil in it came out like mud. I wish I would have snapped a pic of the air filter, it was almost clean except for the oil that poured down it from the breather.. I made a ghetto catch can and plugged the filter housing..

Inside the carb.. I need to clean it still

PCV.. This thing was clogged to shit

Cap and rotor.. I'm surprised that I actually had spark.. Lol

I think #1 was missing, look how black that is..

This is now blowing out of my exhaust.. I expect over the next few thousand miles it will start running much better..

Now a couple questions:
Where can I find out the recommendations for this valve?

What are these plugs for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zorproducts

• "Squirrel King" aka "MY" Boss man at ZOR
  • Administrator
  • Located in: Camp Verde, Arizona
  • "Adapt or Die" Don't believe me? Ask a dinosaur...
    • Zorproducts
Re: First maintenance done by me
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 12:43:14 PM »

Let's start with the two white T plugs. I can honestly say that I have never seen the T plugs there but assume they are the same round (86-89) and flat (90-95) used here in USA. Those are probably the 5th gear EGR and reverse light connections that go to the two transmission switches located on top of trans. To verify one plug should have red wire and yellow wire. That would be reverse lights which is the closest to engine trans switch. The other T should have green/red wire and black, making that open the vac valve for EGR allowing more crap to get into engine.

The last picture is the disconnect ground for the distributor bolt. Which is story in itself.
Grounds are how this car works but the engine is isolated by rubber. So to prevent a fire in your harness from the clutch cable becoming the last ground in system there must be.
Large ground cable from battery negative anode to upper bolt of starter.
10 gauge ground wire from battery neg anode to firewall.
Ground from firewall to distributor bolt (often with disconnect) but that is not required as removal of bolt will remove ground wire. The end of that wire will be behind the firewall ground screw. Your mate to that wire could have been burnt off but it would be normally at distributor lower bolt.

Now an apology. I have been busier than normal trying to catch up on many late projects and having to deal with all kinds of employee bullshyt. Which means I have to cover for two to three people lately who are not doing their job to my high standards. I am going to see about why my buddy at that company has NOT gotten back to me about shipping you a bolt on YJ lift kit to an APO. Guess they are busy also.
Stay outta my tree.
And the tree next to my tree and the trees next to that! Or any tree made out of wood for that matter!

RJG79

• NWS
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 12:59:22 PM »

Thanks for the help I will start checking those things out..

No worries about the lift.. With Christmas coming it's not like I'm looking to order it tomorrow. Thanks for thinking about it though

RJG79

• NWS
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 10:09:38 AM »

So... I grounded that brown wire coming from the coil (last pic) and the car wouldn't start.. Disconnect it and it started right up.. Any ideas??

mkyhmltn

• THG
  • Located in: Colorado
  • it should be legal to shoot fucktards...
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 01:05:22 PM »

Tach wire?

Scottiej

• ZOR CLUB
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 05:06:08 PM »

Tach wire?

Correct, well it's normally used for the tach anyway.

European SJs have different looms to the US, there's 2 that are used and it depends if they are Spanish or Jap built. A Vin starting VSE is Spanish built and JSA is Jap built. The jap built ones have very similar wire colours to the US SJs but the Spanish have less similarities.

Those 2 plugs are quite often redundant, I've never actually looked up to see what they are for tbh. They are probably used for something in other markets, Japan maybe?

The carb'd European models don't have an ECM or EGR system.

Scottiej

• ZOR CLUB
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 05:14:36 PM »

Oh and the recommendations for that valve are on the sticker that you can see just in the corner of the pic.

It's to open/close the hot air feed, there should be a tube that runs from that intake on the side across to a heat shield on the exhaust manifold. In cold weather it's used to prevent carb icing.

RJG79

• NWS
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 11:42:46 PM »

Tach wire?

This could be part of the explanation of why my tach doesn't fully follow the revs..

European SJs have different looms to the US, there's 2 that are used and it depends if they are Spanish or Jap built. A Vin starting VSE is Spanish built and JSA is Jap built. The jap built ones have very similar wire colours to the US SJs but the Spanish have less similarities.

Those 2 plugs are quite often redundant, I've never actually looked up to see what they are for tbh. They are probably used for something in other markets, Japan maybe?

The carb'd European models don't have an ECM or EGR system.

Mine was built in Spain

RJG79

• NWS
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 11:46:00 PM »

Oh and the recommendations for that valve are on the sticker that you can see just in the corner of the pic.

It's to open/close the hot air feed, there should be a tube that runs from that intake on the side across to a heat shield on the exhaust manifold. In cold weather it's used to prevent carb icing.

I found this yesterday: http://zuksoffroad.3dcartstores.com/Warm-Air-Hose_p_1119.html it all made sense after that.. Which my rig did not come with. Anyone see the need to really have this? There isn't extremely cold temps around here..

I'll check out the sticker to see the recommendations.

zorproducts

• "Squirrel King" aka "MY" Boss man at ZOR
  • Administrator
  • Located in: Camp Verde, Arizona
  • "Adapt or Die" Don't believe me? Ask a dinosaur...
    • Zorproducts
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 09:45:24 PM »

Obviously I appreciate any  input from someone who can teach me about the Sj413 from around the world. The connection I was familiar with is not connected to the coil but to the firewall and from there to the distributor housing bolt. Thanks to all who instructed me on European variations.
Stay outta my tree.
And the tree next to my tree and the trees next to that! Or any tree made out of wood for that matter!

WVhillbilly

• THG
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 08:22:13 AM »

Tach wire?

European SJs have different looms to the US, there's 2 that are used and it depends if they are Spanish or Jap built. A Vin starting VSE is Spanish built and JSA is Jap built.

:-)))

Info I didn't know. What are the emissions requirements there? Do you have to keep the 4 dozen vacuum lines intact?
Founding member of the Bigflex post padders union local 10001
WV rep

Scottiej

• ZOR CLUB
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 09:05:46 AM »

I'm always happy to help fill in the gaps for any members that don't have US spec suzuki's, as well as i can at least. We are all still learning  2up

As for emissions it depends where you are in Europe. In the UK we just have to make sure we don't have a bad smoker and that the emissions fall within certain CO and HC limits at our yearly safety check (MOT) but there are different limits for different aged cars and if the vehicle left the factory with a Cat it needs to be fitted.

However these limits are set by the vehicle and age, not by the engine fitted, so for instance I can fit a g16 16v or J20a etc. into an SJ and i can rip out all the emissions crap and Cat as long as it meets the emissions limits set for that vehicle.

Here's a basic run down
Carbon Monoxide Emissions

For vehicles registered between 1st August 1975 and 31st July 1986, the CO level must not exceed 4.5% by volume.

For vehicles registered between 1st August 1986 and 31st July 1992, the CO level must not exceed 3.5% by volume.

Vehicles registered after 1st August 1992 must conform to the manufacturers specification (the MOT testing garage usually checks these values on a database). The carbon monoxide level is tested at two speeds; “idle” and “fast idle”. Although the specification varies between car models, the guidelines are generally 0.5% at idle and 0.3% at fast idle.

Hydrocarbon Emissions

For vehicles registered between 1st August 1975 and 31st July 1992, the HC emissions must not exceed 1200 ppm (parts per million).

Vehicles registered after 1st August 1992 must conform to the manufacturer’s specification. The hydrocarbon level is again tested at “fast idle” speed. Although the specification varies between car models, the guidelines are generally no more than 200 ppm at fast idle.
Pages: [1]   Go Up