Welcome to the "ZORum"

Advanced search  

News:

Did you vote for the ZOR naughty model?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CV 40 vs. 44  (Read 245 times)

ittybitty

• ZOR CLUB
  • Big Pimpin Points +0/-0
CV 40 vs. 44
« on: October 20, 2016, 10:36:01 AM »

I've got one of the early model 40mm carbs with the yellow round float.  It runs really well currently, but I also picked up a 44mm carb a while back with intentions of swapping it in to replace the 40mm.  I've tried this twice and no matter what I do I can't get the 44mm to work out. 

One of the biggest issues I had when setting up my 40mm was getting the pitot tube setup to work correctly.  Before it was right I'd crank it up, it'd idle great, but if I chopped the throttle or floored it it would fall flat on it's face.  Turned out it wasn't able to get fuel quick enough...for lack of a better explanation.  This is exactly what happens with the 44mm when I install it.  I'm using the exact same setup and have tried a pile of jet combinations and I can't get it to clear up. 

So one of the most obvious things I've noticed thats different between the two carbs is that the hole where the freeze plug is that we remove to tap for the pitot tube on the 40mm has a completely open passage behind it whereas the 44mm has a restrictor of sorts.  The first time around with the 44mm I texted Myron about it and he simply said "don't remove it".  At this point it's the only thing I know is different between them and the way I'm setting them up.

FYI...this is a DIY setup on a 1.6 8v and I understand all of the potential downsides to this vs. a MYSide style setup.  I just enjoy tinkering too much to buy a kit at this point.  Prior to the CV setup I was running the same motor with the TBI and the turbo (K03) with an FMU.  It ran good, but the lack of tunability finally made me want to try something different.

Here's pics of the difference I'm referring to.  Anyone have a turbo kit or used a 44mm that can provide some input?

40mm with completely open passage...

44mm with the restrictor I'm talking about...

zorproducts

• "Squirrel King" aka "MY" Boss man at ZOR
  • Administrator
  • Big Pimpin Points +1012/-1
  • Located in: Camp Verde, Arizona
  • "Adapt or Die" Don't believe me? Ask a dinosaur...
    • Zorproducts
Re: CV 40 vs. 44
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 01:16:57 AM »

To be clear your now normally aspirated not turbo?

44 mm carbs have not had the black plastic fuel inlet elbows since I can't remember when and I have zero issues turboing either 40 or 44.

You mention a pitot tube so I am not sure how I can help. I am not releasing any proprietary information on what we do to boost through a CV or components we use in our turbo kits. Where I can help you is possibly by explaining we are boosting from pitot to that hole behind plug with a brass fitting and blocking off the normal breathing path on normal aspirated CV carbs.
How many holes are in emulsifier tube and does the needle guide have funnel up? Is needle under spider or over spider in slide?
Stay outta my tree! And the tree next to my tree and the trees next to that! Or any tree made out of wood for that matter!

ittybitty

• ZOR CLUB
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 11:42:15 AM »

I am turbo'd.

Yeah I picked up a brass inlet for it...IF I could get it to work correctly. 

My filter adapter blocks off the 4th hole on the face of the carb.  All other vacuum nipples are capped including the overflow vent on the bottom of the fuel bowl.  I have also tried tapping that vent into a boost ref'd line to rule out another possibility.  I have tapped the hole I showed in the pictures for a 1/8" NPT port and that has an elbow  which steps it up to a 5/8" ID hose to match the size of the pitot tube on the charge pipe coming from the turbo.

The emulsifier tube has the number of holes you recommend.  I've tried swapping tubes between the 40 and the 44 with no change either.  The needle guide has the funnel up.  The needle is under the spider...which I assume is the yellowish plastic piece that the spring rides on.

I swapped back to the 40 yesterday because I have a trip next weekend and need to get everything sorted out.  It's running like a champ.  It currently has a 50 pilot and 295 main.  AFR at idle is around 11.5 and wide open throttle hits its leanest point at around 12.8.

Just for confirmation...my 44 has the HD orange part number label that confirms it is a 44.  Beyond that the spigot measures correctly as well...and is obviously bigger than the 40. 

ittybitty

• ZOR CLUB
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 11:43:57 AM »

Here's the filter adapter I made...you can see how it blocks the 4th hole on the face of the carb.

zorproducts

• Administrator
    • Zorproducts
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 01:25:46 AM »

Post here the details on your boost referenced pressure regulator,  the return line diameter and electric fuel pump type and location please. PM me for main jet information that I will share with you but I don't want to be made public. That smaller hole in the carb body is not affecting boost to the bowl.
Stay outta my tree! And the tree next to my tree and the trees next to that! Or any tree made out of wood for that matter!

ittybitty

• ZOR CLUB
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 09:51:42 PM »

I'm running the Mallory 4309 at 1.5psi which is fed by an E2000 fuel pump which is mounted below my 5 gallon Jaz fuel cell.  I have 5/16" line from tank to pump where it switches to the same size but in FI style hose.  I have a Fram FI rated filter just beyond the pump.  I've had pumps go bad before so I prefer to keep one in this location.  From there the rubber hose transfers to the larges hard line on the frame rail and then goes back to rubber in the engine bay to the Mallory regulator which is mounted in front of the carb location.  Rubber hose runs in the left side and out the right side with an Autometer fuel pressure gauge on the front port of the regulator.  The retrun line is 1/2" I believe...will double check that tomorrow but I do know its substantially larger than the feed line.

This morning I tinkered with the 40mm a little more and swapped in a 50 pilot jet and that seems to be where it likes to be.

PM headed your way Myron...

ittybitty

• ZOR CLUB
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2016, 09:56:24 PM »

Here's a pic of the part number on the 44mm carb I have...

zorproducts

• Administrator
    • Zorproducts
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 06:22:13 AM »

Photobucket went from friend to foe real fast.

Aids10

• ZOR CLUB
    • Gone Bush
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 12:22:33 AM »

Photobucket Workaround

Chrome Extension-
https://github.com/kzahel/photobucket-embed-fix
"Ronin" [GON-BSH]
1986 SJ413- JX Tintop
OEM- Pop-Up Sunroof, Air Conditioner, Jimny Center Console