Welcome to the "ZORum"

Advanced search  

News:

The Suzuki community is alive and well because even with all our differences, respect gives us pause to consider how not to offend.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1986 Samurai Rebuild  (Read 345 times)

Jlester

• ZOR CLUB
  • Big Pimpin Points +0/-0
1986 Samurai Rebuild
« on: February 12, 2017, 09:46:48 PM »

I was encouraged to share my rebuild story with you all by a friend.

I was able to pick up a 1986 Samurai with a stock 1.3 8-valve, overall in great condition. Black and tintop which was awesome.

I then caught The Samurai Fever...

I recovered the existing seats then bought the baby new shoes, new rims, I put in some LED headlights and conversion and some LED fog lights. I may or may not have purchased a Mercedes emblem.

Soon I found myself scrolling through craigslist on an hourly basis searching for more Samurais... Why? No idea really. Until I found a mystical turquoise beast with a 1.6 16-valve motor and knew immediately it's purpose in life... To donate it's internals to my beloved Black Tintop.

So the adventure then went down the path of me in my garage... With basically no automobile mechanical experience (I'm a motorcycle mechanic).  I spent hours swapping the motors and cleaning every single part. I spray painted the motor compartment, bought new seats (yes, again), this time from Myron at Zuke's Offroad... This is where my Samurai Fever became terminal. Myron gave me great insight as to what to do and what NOT to do. He fueled the Samurai blaze within my heart... I had the motor rebuilt and spent countless hours F***ing with wiring... I rebuilt the tranny (not your mom). I then found a custom exhaust shop to build me an exhaust from the headers back. I detailed every single part on this little machine...

I got my newly rebuilt motor nestled in its new home with incredible ease. The birds sang, the clouds parted to shine God's light directly on my Samurai.

And it didn't start.

I cried.

Not really, I'm not a pussy.

But I was not happy.

After a few days of adjusting the timing (which, by the way, the entire setup is stupid) I finally got my Sammy fired up and ready to roll! Except for one thing... The oil pan was now touching the front axel. So then came the lift kit.

This is about the point where my wife divorced me...

Not really... Unfortunately.

Once again, consulting Myron incessantly regarding what kind of lift kit to get, I finally made a decision and went with a Rocky Mountain Bolt-On Lift with YJ springs so that I could do it myself in my garage.  Once the lift was complete... I stepped back to revel in the glory of my new badass Sammy.

Those tires are too small... That's when I purchased the 31/10.5/15 tires with a rim with a 2.5'' backspacing (recommended by Myron) to give it the look I wanted.

Anyways, my Samurai turned out pretty F***ing cool if I don't say so myself. Check out the pics below and comment away.

nagtrainer

• Psychotic zuker
  • THG
  • Big Pimpin Points +200/-2
  • Located in: Eunice NM
  • I am the PING master
Re: 1986 Samurai Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 11:33:27 AM »

Nice TT..
A tech link that has Suzuki factory manual information for a small donation is
http://www.acksfaq.com

Still Zukin

• Administrator
  • Big Pimpin Points +245/-0
  • Located in: White River, South Dakota
  • Dead Broke Zuker
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 06:28:16 PM »

Nice work the rig looks nice.
Never Squat when You Are Wearing Spurs

Garemie

• ZOR CLUB
  • Located in: Mariposa, CA
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 12:19:43 PM »

Beautiful man. 

Welcome to the fever

Tater72958

• ZOR CLUB
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 02:50:47 AM »

Very nice.
And dont worry about the divorce,  mine wife threatens me every time i even mention buying more Zuki parts.  Been going on for 5 or 6 years now...... she still ain't done it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up