Welcome to the "ZORum"

Advanced search  

News:

The Suzuki community is alive and well because even with all our differences, respect gives us pause to consider how not to offend.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Intermediate drive shaft removal  (Read 139 times)

TomU

• ZOR CLUB
  • Big Pimpin Points +1/-0
Intermediate drive shaft removal
« on: November 25, 2017, 10:26:12 AM »

My 87 Sami developed a vibration that worsened pretty quickly.  I checked for broken motor mounts, running gear supports and the driveline and found the universal joint at the transmission end of the intermediate shaft is shot.

I can see that it bolts to the flange where it attaches to the transfer case.  Searching the Net it looks like the other end is a splined shaft that slip fits into the rear of the transmission.  If that's true then it should be pretty easy to remove, fix and replace.

This is a new vehicle to me so before I screw something up I thought I'd ask if I'm missing something or if there is a gotcha doing this removal and reinsertion.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Mr. Black

• ZOR CLUB
  • Located in: South Hill Wa.
Re: Intermediate drive shaft removal
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 02:20:22 PM »

I just took mine out for the 3rd time since I've owned it.   Hopefully this will be the last time for a long while. Buy the best U joints you can find.  Not the 9.99 Autozone specials.

You are on the right track.  Remove the 4 bolts at the Tcase flange and slip the shaft out of the transmission. 

You will usually know right away once out on the bench if a Ujoint is the offender. 

Also when in doubt while still in the trouble shooting stages before you decide to take the intermediate shaft out, put your Tcase shifter in neutral and run the rig up through the gears all the way to freeway speeds in 5th.   You will know right away if the vibration is coming from the pesky intermediate shaft.  Mine was giving me a deep tissue massage.  It was really bad and escalated quickly from nothing to shaking itself apart in the span of a few hundred miles. 
Steve

88 Samurai. MY-Turbo 1.3, 40mm CV Carb, SPOA-YJs, TG 6.5 Gears, LROR Tcase Cradle, 33x10.50 KM2s on TMI Beadlocks.

TomU

• ZOR CLUB
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 03:12:05 PM »

Thanks Mr. Black ! 

Those were my symptoms exactly. 

While I was looking around the drive train I stuck my hand up to the transmission side u-joint.  'Bout cut my finger off.  Closer look showed lots of real shiny rough metal.  Pretty sure that it's toast.  I'm hoping that it didn't screw up the shaft or splines on the shaft.

While I have it out I may just replace both joints so I know that at least that driveshaft has been taken care of and see if the vibration is gone.  I read that some of the Zuk specialty vendors can supply OEM quality parts for the joints.  I call them Monday and see what I can find.

Thanks again.  Tom

Mr. Black

• ZOR CLUB
  • Located in: South Hill Wa.
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 02:22:35 PM »

I got mine fixed today.   Very very impressed at the quality of the MOOG u-joint.   It's expensive at 35 bucks but it's a solid joint with no zerk and packed with quality grease like a factory joint. 

Got it all put back together and did the T-case neutral test and ran the intermediate shaft up to freeway speeds and it's glass smooth now.   Super excited to drive it to work tomorrow.  DTB

How'd you make out with yours Tom?
Steve

88 Samurai. MY-Turbo 1.3, 40mm CV Carb, SPOA-YJs, TG 6.5 Gears, LROR Tcase Cradle, 33x10.50 KM2s on TMI Beadlocks.

zorproducts

• "Squirrel King" aka "MY" Boss man at ZOR
  • Administrator
  • Big Pimpin Points +1013/-1
  • Located in: Camp Verde, Arizona
  • "Adapt or Die" Don't believe me? Ask a dinosaur...
    • Zorproducts
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 09:01:42 PM »

When it comes to the intermediate shaft I suggest ONLY the factory brand KOYO joint they are NOT cheap as some of my competitors sell for $75 each plus shipping. I can get them shipped to you for $62 each. My only other recommended is Matshuba from japan. Better than Moog and priced right at $30.
Stay outta my tree! And the tree next to my tree and the trees next to that! Or any tree made out of wood for that matter!

TomU

• ZOR CLUB
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 03:39:14 PM »

My repair didn't go as smooth'  After removing the shaft the u joints in the yoke of the part that mates with the transmission were severely damaged and the inside edges of the bores in yoke itself were toast!. The yoke on the drive shaft was also damaged on two inside surfaces.  The net was it was better to get a replacement intermediate shaft. 

I found a used one in Oregon with "good" U joints.  They offered to install new Japanese u joints at a reasonable price so I went for it.  Received it in 2 days and installed it yesterday.

"Little Blue Truck" is up and running again vibration free.

Next project: Replacing window regulators.
Pages: [1]   Go Up