Welcome to the "ZORum"

Advanced search  

News:

The Suzuki community is alive and well because even with all our differences, respect gives us pause to consider how not to offend.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Geetings from ALASKA  (Read 73 times)

JagLite

• ZOR CLUB
  • Big Pimpin Points +0/-0
Geetings from ALASKA
« on: December 05, 2017, 10:38:44 AM »

Ok, another new guy starting out with about zero knowledge about the Samurai.
I rented one in Hawaii back in 1986 and really liked it, very much like my VW Thing (stupid name for a car).
It was slow, under powered, rough riding, and fun to drive.
Much smaller than my VW and it had 4 wheel drive.

So, when I decided to buy a car to drive back and forth to work this winter while I have my Miata in my shop for a major overhaul I started looking for a Samurai or Sidekick/Tracker.

Very few around these parts so it was after several months one came up on CL for sale.
It was a father/son project but they were moving out of state so decided to sell it here and buy another one in Utah.
As is my usual technique when buying used vehicles, I paid way too much and bought something that needed lots of work.
(Somebody has to do that to balance out the great deals others find)

It broke down the second time I drove it and got its first ride to the local shop I have work on my vehicles when I don't have the time to do it myself.

The new alt the DPO (Dreaded Previous Owner) had installed was junk so the shop put a new alternator in, and as I asked they checked out the rest of the rig. They did all kinds of small things and noted down a bunch of other things needing attention.
Like the starter motor was missing one of the two bolts that hold it in, the turn signals and brake lights didn't work, one plug wire was bad, the parking brake only worked on one side, most of the lights in the instrument panel didn't work, etc...

Almost everything I have fixed so far has been to do right what the DPO did wrong.
It has been in my shop for a week now and is almost ready to get back on the road so I can pull the Miata in.
I didn't mention, but I hate working on cars. I work on motorcycles, they are so easy to work on in comparison.

More later,
James

Still Zukin

• Administrator
  • Big Pimpin Points +245/-0
  • Located in: White River, South Dakota
  • Dead Broke Zuker
Re: Geetings from ALASKA
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 03:46:49 PM »

Best Wishes with your new "project".
Never Squat when You Are Wearing Spurs

zorproducts

• "Squirrel King" aka "MY" Boss man at ZOR
  • Administrator
  • Big Pimpin Points +1013/-1
  • Located in: Camp Verde, Arizona
  • "Adapt or Die" Don't believe me? Ask a dinosaur...
    • Zorproducts
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 09:53:29 PM »

I am a big fan of the DIY crowd as I consider myself the professor of DIY. Many of the tech items here deal with repair and fix it by yourself. If you need some advice on something tough, hit me up. Time to do tech has been severely curtailed as ZOR has increased from the wife in the office and a helper working with me. But it is still fun for me to fix Suzuki things that simply puzzle the so called pros.
MY
Stay outta my tree! And the tree next to my tree and the trees next to that! Or any tree made out of wood for that matter!

TomU

• ZOR CLUB
  • Big Pimpin Points +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 02:48:08 PM »

I totally relate to "Somebody has to do that to balance out the great deals others find".  Welcome and good luck with the new vehicle. 

Tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up