ZORum

Advanced search  

News:

ZuksOffRoad is a great place to enjoy what you do and earn more than a good pay check. Certified Mechanic(s) could write their own ticket here.
MY

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1.6 16v motor is in but some questions  (Read 605 times)

Gcrop

• ZOR CLUB
1.6 16v motor is in but some questions
« on: January 30, 2018, 08:09:05 AM »

Here is my intro post: http://www.zuksoffroad.net/forum/index.php?topic=2418.0

My initial questions:

1) I can't seem to find the MAP plug on the engine, EGR plug on the engine and Air Temp plug on the engine.

2) So it seems I don't have the lower and upper brackets for my alternator.  Where would be the best places to purchase these other than eBay?

3) It seems like the tensioner pulley (probably the wrong name for it but it tightens the timing belt) seems to stick out and doesn't allow the timing cover to be installed.  It seems loose, like I can wiggle the tensioner pulley.

4) I've seen videos of people mounting the 1.6 ECM in behind the gauge cluster but I don't see any way it can fit back there.  I am also curious where you guys bring the wiring harness into the cab.

Thanks for any help that can be sent my way!  Can't wait to get this back up and running and be able to take the kids for a ride since it has been a massive storage shelf since they've been alive.

Geoff

Bad Goat

• ZOR CLUB
Re: 1.6 16v motor is in but some questions
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 05:09:48 PM »

I'm pretty knew to Suzukis myself......but here's my input

1)I think the air temp is mounted on the air cleaner box, and the map was mounted on the firewall.

2) Trail tough is my preferred place. 
there is also hwy 83 auto salvage.   But I've had missed items and broken stuff sent from him.

3)Wrong pulley mabye?  it shouldn't be loose though.

4)
http://www.zuksoffroad.net/forum/index.php?topic=855.0
I believe Myron  has a video floating around showing how to mod the wiring harness, and he shows how he welds up the braket for the ECM behind the speedo

Bad Goat

• ZOR CLUB

zorproducts

• "Squirrel King" aka "MY" Boss man at ZOR
  • Administrator
  • Located in: Camp Verde, Arizona
  • "Adapt or Die" Don't believe me? Ask a dinosaur...
    • Zorproducts
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 09:03:50 PM »

You should probably post up pictures of the tensioner a 16v tensioner is thicker than 8v tensioner.
What year is your engine or better question how many wires going to distributor?

I don’t sell use parts I boards them so you have
Trail tough
Randy Gibbs
Hiway83
Xtremezuksoffroad.com Richard Smith
Just to name a few used parts slingers

Of course the ecu fits behind the cluster. Watch the video.

Some OBD1 16v did not have factory air temp sensor. If you have a black one god with a red wire with black tracer next to the MAF that’s airtemp. If you think about it it literally could be anywhere I engine compartment. The computer does want to know if cold air is coming in to keep E-choke on longer.
Stay outta my tree! And the tree next to my tree and the trees next to that! Or any tree made out of wood for that matter!

Gcrop

• ZOR CLUB
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 07:54:22 AM »

Thanks for the responses.  I'll try to answer the questions.

1) I didn't get the air box off of the donor so that might explain why I can't find where that part of the harness goes.  MY, you tagged it as Air Temp so I guess I will have to find an air box.

2) I will check with TT on the alternator bracket.  Thanks.

3) See below for some pictures of the timing belt and surrounding area for the tensioner.  My distributor has 7 wires but MY twisted two of them together that are marked ground.  I do have the distributor plug now so I was going to butt-splice/heat shrink the wiring harness wires to the plug I have that has the matching 7 wires on it.

4) I've watched the video so I will try that when I get to that point.

I am also adding pictures of the donor vehicle from 7 years ago.  I want to say it was a mid-90s Tracker but I'm sure you guys could tell from looking at it.

I appreciate the feedback on all of this!

Gcrop

• ZOR CLUB
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 09:10:43 PM »

So the pink wire labeled “fuel pump”, can I run that straight to the “+” of the fuel pump (80’s Ford F-150).  Or is a relay recommended like on the starter?

One of my next steps is the fuse block from the 16V tying into the 1.3 fuse block. Any pictures/diagrams to help?

zorproducts

• Administrator
    • Zorproducts
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 09:12:49 PM »

Not pink
Pink is the ecu grounding of the fuel pump relay

Pink Black is fuel pump make sure it has 12v on it when key on for 6 seconds then it shuts off when engien is not running.

Details lots of details.
Stay outta my tree! And the tree next to my tree and the trees next to that! Or any tree made out of wood for that matter!

Gcrop

• ZOR CLUB
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 04:48:39 PM »

Not pink
Pink is the ecu grounding of the fuel pump relay

Pink Black is fuel pump make sure it has 12v on it when key on for 6 seconds then it shuts off when engien is not running.

Details lots of details.

Thanks MY. I had meant pink with black tracer, I should have been more specific. So no relay is typically needed I suppose.

Gcrop

• ZOR CLUB
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 07:10:48 AM »

So most of my initial questions have been taken care of.  I still need to find an Intake Air Temp sensor though.

I have come across a couple more questions now.

1) There is a spade connection at the base of the distributor.  Is this used for anything?  I will provide a picture as well to help with location.

2) I have an aftermarket tach that did wire to the Samurai's disty/coil. I also now have a "Tach" labeled wire from MY's harness conversion.  Do these tie together to give me the tach signal?  Or do each of these need to tie somewhere near the disty (like the samurai) to get the tach signal?

3) Last question is, do I plug the Samurai alternator plug into the back of the Tracker alternator?  It is a two wire plug and I wasn't sure if this was used for the cluster reading or I believe it actually performs another function.

I am sure these are very simple questions to everyone else so any advice would be appreciated (again).

Thanks!

Gcrop

• ZOR CLUB
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 08:05:54 AM »

Pictures:

The PHLOOP

• Administrator
  • Located in: ORYGUN
  • THE SPAMINATOR
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 07:49:37 AM »

Looks plug and play. The connector I believe is a ground that goes to the fire wall. And the plug that says Alt. on it I think from looking at it, goes into the back of the Alt.
DON"T DIE A VIRGIN, TERRORISTS ARE UP THERE WAITING FOR YOU.

Stupidity Should Hurt

Gcrop

• ZOR CLUB
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2018, 01:02:03 PM »

Yea, the plug labeled alternator is from the Samurai wiring harness.  I assumed the plug is strictly for the gauge cluster on the dash.  This sound correct?

Anyone have any thoughts on the tach question?
I have an aftermarket tach that did wire to the Samurai's disty/coil. I also now have a "Tach" labeled wire from MY's harness conversion.  Do these tie together to give me the tach signal?  Or do each of these need to tie somewhere near the disty (like the samurai) to get the tach signal?

zorproducts

• Administrator
    • Zorproducts
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2018, 10:16:03 PM »

Tech support is easier on my cell

Tach wire is supposed to be landed just where the cheat says
Passenger side connector if cluster third wire from top it’s a brownish color. If you can also tie into the brown wire coming from the old ceramic NF filter. Or it can be used to run aftermarket tech and not be hooked up.

Alt plug is the Samurai plug and must be plugged in or your sidekick tracker alternator won’t have field wire power to generate a higher voltage to replace amondranw at start up.

Gcrop

• ZOR CLUB
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2018, 07:17:38 AM »

Thanks MY. I had been meaning to call for the help but never made the time.

So I will just splice the Brown tach wire from the Tracker harness into the green wire that feeds my aftermarket tach. Thanks, that clears that up.

And the Samurai alternator plug is supposed to be used for the new Tracker alternator.

Thanks again!

zorproducts

• Administrator
    • Zorproducts
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2018, 05:58:55 AM »

Yes to above statements
Some tachs green “feed wire” can be connected directly to the coil if the needle on the aftermarket tech is nervous (shaking) try green to coil+.
Pages: [1]   Go Up