ZORum

Advanced search  

News:

Tired of Facebook drama and haters? Join ZORum and help us reunite the community.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: HELP.. Main Power to ECM grounding out on 16v conv.  (Read 1231 times)

BrettR

• ZOR CLUB
HELP.. Main Power to ECM grounding out on 16v conv.
« on: February 11, 2018, 05:19:13 PM »

Started a few months back, and just now messing with it.
Zuke: 87' with 95 16v Traker, MY did the wiring harness.
History of prob: started with going down the road and radio would cut off, would still run and could hear fuel pump, as soon as we would stop the fuse able link ( I have replaced with 30 amp fuse) off the battery would blow and would of course stop running. Would replace fuse and would be good to go. Checked fuel pump and wiring to see if that was the prob, all looked good. Happened a few times and fuse replacement would get me going.
Last time it happened, replaced fuse, went to get gas, got back on road and radio cut off, wipers started going crazy and can't remember what else went on and off, but just wanted off the road.
Now the wire marked " main power" black with red stripe, is blowing fuse. Tested on the fuse block and that wire is grounding out. If I unplug the wiring from the Track computer the ground goes away but have no power to the ECM.
Any ideas??
I am not that great with wiring, this has me stumped.
Sorry for the long post.
Thanks for any and all help.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 07:27:03 AM by BrettR »

zorproducts

• "Squirrel King" aka "MY" Boss man at ZOR
  • Administrator
  • Located in: Camp Verde, Arizona
  • "Adapt or Die" Don't believe me? Ask a dinosaur...
    • Zorproducts
Re: HELP.. Main Power to ECU grounding out on 16v conv.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 12:14:54 AM »

The red black grousing out means so is the big white wire yellow stripe from fuseable link to samurai fuse block where the power feed forthered black wire goes from. The harness has melted inside  the samurai harness. Open it up from the battery side and find the bad wires.
Stay outta my tree.
And the tree next to my tree and the trees next to that! Or any tree made out of wood for that matter!

BrettR

• ZOR CLUB
Re: HELP.. Main Power to ECU grounding out on 16v conv.
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 06:15:12 PM »

Ok.
This is connfusing me, I am having a hard time understanding, looks like the spell correct is working overtime, sorry.
My fuse in the fuseable link is not blowing.

Does my wiring look right on the fuse block?
It has been awhile since I messed with it, and a few wires came loose.
I have pulled everything down from under the dash to inspect.

Thanks so much for your help.

BrettR

• ZOR CLUB
Re: HELP.. Main Power to ECM grounding out on 16v conv.
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 07:32:30 AM »

Could it be a bad ECM?
I can not find any melted or burnt wiring.
Fuse is not blowing from where I replaced the fuasable link.
When I unhook the ECM the ground goes away, stumped, but need it to run.
Thanks again for all and any help.

BrettR

• ZOR CLUB
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 06:53:38 AM »

Anyone??
Do you think the ECM could be bad?
Any way to test it?

The PHLOOP

• Administrator
  • Located in: ORYGUN
  • THE SPAMINATOR
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 02:49:35 PM »

Only idea I have is make sure ALL the grounds are clean and not corroded as well as the connectors.
DON"T DIE A VIRGIN, TERRORISTS ARE UP THERE WAITING FOR YOU.

Stupidity Should Hurt

BrettR

• ZOR CLUB
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 08:22:57 AM »

I have been over the grounds 3 times and all seem very good, Zuk is clean and rust free.
When I take out the relay on the Tracker side the ground goes away, as well as the power to the Tracker ECM, plus back up, get the relay "click" the ground comes back.
I have the power probe stuck into the grounded circuit so that I can hear it beep. I then go around the Zuk looking and moving wires to see if I can locate the bad spot in wiring.
I have unplugged EVERYTHING on the Zuk side and still get the ground. Only thing on the Zuk side that "kills" the ground is pulling the 30amp fuse that has replaced the fusable link off the battery, but this kills the whole vehicle, but ground does go away.

zorproducts

• Administrator
    • Zorproducts
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 09:46:16 PM »

What relay
Describe the colors on the connector

Your description doesnít say what is happening
Are blowing fuses?

Who did the harness?
Did it ever work?
What was the last thing you did?
Stay outta my tree.
And the tree next to my tree and the trees next to that! Or any tree made out of wood for that matter!

BrettR

• ZOR CLUB
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 10:37:42 AM »

What relay   Not the relay for the Fuel Pump, but the other one that that is part of the Tracker wiring, it will click when key is turned to ON position. Fuel Pump relay has NO power. Pic below

Describe the colors on the connectorBlk/Rd...Blk/Bl

Are blowing fuses?     YES, Blk/Rd wire on Tracker fuse block, main power wire, is grounding out, and it blows fuse, hooked Power Prob to the Blk/Rd line in Tracker fuse block and it has no power or ground with the key in OFF position, and when you turn key ON then the ground appears.

Who did the harness? Myron at ZOR Off Road
Did it ever work?    YES, worked perfect for about 6 months and 2K miles, road driving and dirt roads, no major off roading or mudding.
What was the last thing you did?    Started with going down the road and the radio would shut off but would still run and could hear the fuel pump working. But as soon as you would come to a stop, fuel pump would shut off and engine would stop. At first it was blowing the main fuse/fuseable link off the battery on Sami side of system. I would replace fuse/fusable link and would work as it should. This happened about 6 times. I checked all grounds and could not find anything. Last time it happened I replaced fuse off battery as before, then went down the road a few hundred yards and the radio went off, wipers started going on their own and the whole thing shut down. I replaced the fuse again off of the battery and fuse is not blowing and this fuse/wire has steady power, it is just the Blk/Rd wire with the ground at the Tracker fuse block when the key is on.
If you unplug the ECM then the relay we talked about before want come on and the ground goes away, if you plug ECM back up then the replay activates and the ground comes back. Picture below.
I have keep the Power Prob hooked to the Blk/Rd grounded wire and listen to the little nose it makes while un hooking every connection on the Sami side and the ground is still there.

Only time ground goes away as stated above is when the key is in OFF position, when above RELAY is un hooked or when small connecter on ECM is unhooked or if power wire to the Tracker Fuse block is disconnected.

Describe the colors on the connector

Are blowing fuses?   Posed above.

zorproducts

• Administrator
    • Zorproducts
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2018, 01:48:56 AM »

The red/black wire going into the main relay should have 12v at all times. I did the harness so it originally went to the second fuse block. The second fuse block big thick white wire take that wire off the orginal samuria fuse block and run direct to the battery positive with a 30amp fuse. By doing that you will eliminate drawing power through the samurai harness. I would suspect you have melted wires inside the samurai harness somewhere between battery and original samurai fuse block.
Stay outta my tree.

BrettR

• ZOR CLUB
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2018, 05:13:59 AM »

Ran a hot wire directly from the battery and still have the ground at the BLK/RD wire....URRGGGGG.
This is driving me crazy.
Any other suggestions?
Could it be in the ECM?
Looks like I have taken out the Samurai harness, except for the key powering up the ECM, out of the equation.
Still not power to the Fuel Pump.
Thanks again for your help.

zorproducts

• Administrator
    • Zorproducts
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2018, 06:09:06 AM »

Ok itís not just the black red wire that is grounding out itís the big thick wire inthe samurai harness also. Check and see if that statement is correct. As you mentioned originally the fuseable link was blowing. I suspect melted together wires in the samurai harness or the sidekick harness. What I meant by what was he last thing you did was this
What was the last electrical thing you did.

Remove the main relay. There should be 12v present on the red black wire. No power should be on black wire with white stripe. Turn key on you should have 12v on two wires now the black/white and the black/red.

Ohm out the blue black wire in the main relay connector to ground. If you read a ground there then most likely  a component has failed OR a connector has been compromised and is touching to ground. Remove all connectors with blue/black power wire and inspect component for folded over pins.
Stay outta my tree.

BrettR

• ZOR CLUB
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 05:55:49 AM »

I will try that this week and see what I can find.

Would it be a good idea to remove all un needed Samurai wiring?

If so, what would be the best way to go about this?

I have seen others that done the 1.6 conversion and did away with lots of wiring under the hood and dash.

Thanks, Brett

BrettR

• ZOR CLUB
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2018, 02:43:10 PM »

Ok
Checking from front, without relay in.
With key off I have 12v to Black/white stripe, nothing at black/red stripe, ground at blue/black stripe and nothing at solid blue.
Turn key on, and get the exact same thing.

Checking from rear with relay attached.
With key off I have 12v to Black/white stripe, black/red stripe is grounded, ground at blue/black stripe
And nothing at solid blue.
Turn key on, and get the exact same thing.

Unplug the ECM
From rear, relay does not activate when ECM is disconnected.
12v to the Black/white stripe, nothing at black/red stripe, ground at blue/black stripe.

Pulled Tracker wiring back through firewall and cut all tape off and found nothing that looked melted or burnt.
Took all tape off Sammy wiring from fuse block up and found nothing.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 06:36:06 PM by BrettR »

zorproducts

• Administrator
    • Zorproducts
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2018, 11:01:22 PM »

Do you have a schematic for this TBI? We need to see same thing
Couple of red flags in what you said like blue/black aka bl/b is 12v when main relay closes and feeds components through out the Efi system. Nothing melted in harness means possible ground of wrong wires.

B/bl is ground
Bl/b is 12v component feed.
I just realized you may not have what I am describing. Other companies that do harnesses do them differently then I do and you would understand faster with a schematic.
Stay outta my tree.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up