ZORum

Advanced search  

News:

ZORum's purpose is to enhance the Suzuki experience.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Engine smoking  (Read 115 times)

arrowcoatings

• ZOR CLUB
Engine smoking
« on: April 05, 2018, 05:04:26 PM »

I just installed Myside2, headers, radiator, electric fan and alternator on a 1.3.  Mechanic did a motor treatment with Sea Foam.  I've  ran it quite a bit to burn off all the stuff out of the cat and exhaust.  The engine smokes excessively now compared to before the mods.  I put the pcv system back on also.  Any one able to offer any suggestions?

zorproducts

• "Squirrel King" aka "MY" Boss man at ZOR
  • Administrator
  • Located in: Camp Verde, Arizona
  • "Adapt or Die" Don't believe me? Ask a dinosaur...
    • Zorproducts
Re: Engine smoking
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 06:18:41 AM »

What color is the smoke?
White smoke is water leak smoke smells sweet. I know that sounds weird. You get your nose about a foot away from exhaust pipe and draw some smoke with your hand towards your nose. If coolant it will give you a sweet sensation in mouth by smelling it. Doesnít take but a few small wiffs to determine if coolant or oil burning.

Blue smoke is oil.
Smelling it by waving hand towards nose is obvious oil burning smell.

If you did not clean the old manifold paper from around the studs on the head you will get water leak into the manifold and this into the cylinder. So if white smoke your most likely issue is intake manifold gasket needs to be redone.
Stay outta my tree! And the tree next to my tree and the trees next to that! Or any tree made out of wood for that matter!

arrowcoatings

• ZOR CLUB
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 08:49:59 AM »

I am definitely burning oil and its smoking like crazy.  Did another Seafoam in crankcase and one in gas tank.  Found a plug that looked pretty gunked up.  Possible bad wire replacing those today.  I'm not dodging the likely scenario that I need a rebuild but want to make sure my new intake setup is not somehow sucking or pushing oil where it shouldn't be.  I was hoping I had a stuck oil ring that would free itself up but it doesn't seem to be happening.

arrowcoatings

• ZOR CLUB
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 07:25:11 AM »

As I continue to investigate, I am thinking I have high crankcase pressure.  I just replaced a fuel pump which stared leaking oil everywhere.  I find oil around the oil filler cap that is getting blown out there.  Now I find leaks where there were none coming from the front of the engine.  Pcv seems to be pulling good when I put my finger over it will replace anyway.  Perhaps excessive blow by from worn cylinder/rings in at least one hole causing this?   

zorproducts

• "Squirrel King" aka "MY" Boss man at ZOR
  • Administrator
  • Located in: Camp Verde, Arizona
  • "Adapt or Die" Don't believe me? Ask a dinosaur...
    • Zorproducts
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 11:56:37 PM »

Letís start with you are giving me a text picture to investigate what might be the cause of the excessive blow by.

A hose from the valve cover directly to the PCV is a sure way to blow the seals out of the engine from all the internal pressure of any amount of blow by with unseated or worn out rings.

Using the original plastic T and using the original long hose (or substitute) then a breather filter works for overwhelming majority of MY-Side users.

There is a sure fire way to test an engine with a simple compression test. Ok there is nothing simple about doing the test the correct way.
Stay outta my tree! And the tree next to my tree and the trees next to that! Or any tree made out of wood for that matter!
Pages: [1]   Go Up