ZORum

Advanced search  

News:

Tired of Facebook drama and haters? Join ZORum and help us reunite the community.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Longer Shackles  (Read 225 times)

JoshErnst1074

• ZOR CLUB
  • Located in: Fairbanks, AK
  • 1987 Suzuki Samurai 1.6 8V Converted
Longer Shackles
« on: June 13, 2018, 04:29:06 PM »

So I have a 1987 Suzuki Samurai that has the Old Man Emu springs on it. Wanted to do a 3" Shackle lift on it for now before I do the bolt-on SPOA kit. However, whoever I bought it from has the tow bar mounts welded to the front shackles closest to the front bumper. All the photos I have seen with these longer shackles have swapped out those shackles. Am I able to swap the inside front shackles instead? Thanks in advance.

The PHLOOP

• Administrator
  • Located in: ORYGUN
  • THE SPAMINATOR
Re: Longer Shackles
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 05:17:19 PM »

Personally, I'd wait and do it correctly. Those shackle lifts are pretty much garbage.
DON"T DIE A VIRGIN, TERRORISTS ARE UP THERE WAITING FOR YOU.

Stupidity Should Hurt

zorproducts

• "Squirrel King" aka "MY" Boss man at ZOR
  • Administrator
  • Located in: Camp Verde, Arizona
  • "Adapt or Die" Don't believe me? Ask a dinosaur...
    • Zorproducts
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 10:39:51 PM »

The reason why they are called death shackles is they are gonna change the steering and handling of the Suzuki solid front axle. If you never went on the highway or went fast on dirt roads they do what you want which is clear bigger tires. The bigger tires reguire gear correction somewhere. If you looked in the tech sections the suspension methods are detailed
Stay outta my tree.
And the tree next to my tree and the trees next to that! Or any tree made out of wood for that matter!

JoshErnst1074

• ZOR CLUB
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 02:57:26 PM »

I am well aware of all of these things. I have already had the larger tires on for awhile now, I just put a Warn 8000 winch on thats weighing the front a little bit causing the tires to rub in some circumstances. Looking for a short term fix. So, can I put these shackles on the aft end of the leaf springs instead of right up front?

zorproducts

• Administrator
    • Zorproducts
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 09:21:01 PM »

You can if you affix your front shackles solidly its called a shackle reverse couple things
You need a very long driveshaft slip yoke as the axle drops it pulls away from the t-case. The  SR YJ kit on my L3 Samurai has a 9 slip.

This setup drastically changes the pinion angle which means your steering angles on the knuckles just went ballistic so perch relocation is mandatory. Unless you build a fang similar to calmini which do fixes your approach angle in half.
Stay outta my tree.
And the tree next to my tree and the trees next to that! Or any tree made out of wood for that matter!

JoshErnst1074

• ZOR CLUB
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 12:14:21 AM »

Great info! I appreciate the input. I will look into this.

zorproducts

• Administrator
    • Zorproducts
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 12:44:12 AM »

I am not a fan of the SR calmini kit because it uses short narrow arched springs that ride stiff and hard

The use of SR with YJ springs requires frame extensions because the springs are so long.

Stay outta my tree.
Pages: [1]   Go Up