ZORum

Advanced search  

News:

Tired of Facebook drama and haters? Join ZORum and help us reunite the community.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Texas ZUK  (Read 488 times)

1badmotorfinger

• ZOR CLUB
  • Located in: Texas
Texas ZUK
« on: September 23, 2018, 09:44:32 AM »

Brand new member so wanted to introduce myself. I live in north Texas and have an early 88 Samurai that I bought as my first vehicle in 1992 shortly before getting my DL. After getting it I saved some money and had a local spring shop add a leaf and coupled that with some extended shackles to get enough clearance for some 30" tires. I then swapped the ring and pinions out with some richmond 4.56 but other than that, it's all stock. Unfortunately only after enjoying it for 5-6 years I had a battery strap break which caused the battery to short on the hood and in turn, caused the body to ground thru the clutch, accelerator and parking brake cables- essentially melting them. Sadly, after that happened I troubleshot some but felt overwhelmed and ended up draining fuel and storing it all these years convinced that it was beyond my skill-set to fix and beyond my budget to have a pro diagnose. I've certainly always wanted to get my Sami running again and recently made my mind up that I was going to do just that so I started digging around on forums and tech manuals. What I found as a potential cause was literally a 3" long ground wire that attached to the body right at the battery box. The wire had completely broken off on both ends and must've fell out when the battery strap broke so I had no idea that it even existed. This weekend I bought some new heavy gauge battery cables and a nice fat ground strap and wired them all in and dropped a battery in it. Got inside and turned the key and low and behold, dash lights and buzzer and got it to turn over. Overjoyed is an understatement but also a little sad seeing as for the past almost 20 years, one little wire has kept me from enjoying my Sami. As mentioned though, I'd made my mind up a few weeks ago to get it running again and in addition to reading troubleshooting stuff had come across ZOR's site. Looking at ZOR and others, I felt that the products offered were what I'd go with when I got the electrical bug worked out. So last week I called and got to speak with MY and was completely blown away. It felt like talking with an old friend and the knowledge MY has along with his willingness to share and go over options after asking getting details about my rig and where I want to take it was so refreshing. I won't claim to know all the heavy hitters in the ZUK world but there's no doubt that MY is passionate and is someone who loves ZUKs- but is down to earth and willing to help anyone. In this day and time that is rare and most people won't give you the time of day let alone talk with you at length; so a big thank you to MY. Now that I have the electrical gremlin worked out I'm putting my build list together and can hardly wait to get started refreshing and upgrading my Sami now that I'm able to. It's great to be here and get to participate in the community and hopefully I can help or inspire someone else! Take care yall!
1988 Suzuki Samurai
Redneck Right-Wing Patriot
Firm Believer in God, US Bill of Rights & Constitution
Come & Take It

Still Zukin

• Administrator
  • Located in: White River, South Dakota
  • Dead Broke Zuker
Re: Texas ZUK
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 11:04:30 AM »

Welcome, glad you are on your way to enjoy your rig again.
Never Squat when You Are Wearing Spurs

The PHLOOP

• Administrator
  • Located in: ORYGUN
  • THE SPAMINATOR
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 07:01:18 PM »

Welcome to the ZORum
DON"T DIE A VIRGIN, TERRORISTS ARE UP THERE WAITING FOR YOU.

Stupidity Should Hurt

zorproducts

• "Squirrel King" aka "MY" Boss man at ZOR
  • Administrator
  • Located in: Camp Verde, Arizona
  • "Adapt or Die" Don't believe me? Ask a dinosaur...
    • Zorproducts
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 10:20:15 PM »

Itís the only way I am going to win the war. Recruit one Suzuki owner at a time. Thanks for the kudos. Lots more coming down the pike from all of us at ZOR.
Stay outta my tree.
And the tree next to my tree and the trees next to that! Or any tree made out of wood for that matter!

1badmotorfinger

• ZOR CLUB
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 10:41:17 AM »

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. Ordered new clutch, accelerator and brake cables which are out for delivery today. Going to replace those in the next few days and see if I can get the old motor to actually start. It has 255k on it so I'm wanting to do a engine swap to a 1.6 8v and 4WD transmission. I'm told this should mate up properly to the transfer case and drop in with the only exception being the motor mounts where I'd go with the motorboat kit from ZOR. Just wondering if the stock Sami clutch and accelerator cable will work with that swap and also if my stock Sami A/C can be used? My plan is to also eliminate the stock carb and get a MY-Side 2 and 44mm carb to go on the 1.6 as well.
1988 Suzuki Samurai
Come & Take It

zorproducts

• "Squirrel King" aka "MY" Boss man at ZOR
  • Administrator
  • Located in: Camp Verde, Arizona
  • "Adapt or Die" Don't believe me? Ask a dinosaur...
    • Zorproducts
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 11:16:56 PM »

Yes you can keep Ac but you need to swap to the sidekick compressor itís easy enough

Yes you use samurai cables for the swap
Stay outta my tree.
And the tree next to my tree and the trees next to that! Or any tree made out of wood for that matter!

Swayzeexpress

• ZOR CLUB
  • Located in: ILLINOIS
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 09:01:11 AM »

I know this is old but congrats on getting this back on the road - that's a killer story and history of your ride

1badmotorfinger

• ZOR CLUB
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 04:31:16 AM »

Thank you sir. It's still an uphill climb and I'm not able to drive her yet which is killing me. So close but so far away!
1988 Suzuki Samurai
Come & Take It

dadstoybox

• Build it and they will come
  • THG
  • Hustler
    • Haul-A-Round Trailer Sales and mfg.
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2019, 05:07:06 AM »

Welcome to the ZORum , youíll find anything you need around here .
SURE YOU CAN TRUST YOUR GOVERNMENT... JUST ASK AN INDIAN

Support Your Local Search & Rescue.......GET LOST !

Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.
Pages: [1]   Go Up