ZORum

Advanced search  

News:

Tired of Facebook drama and haters? Join ZORum and help us reunite the community.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: tuna can shim stock, 1.3 crank/timing pulley  (Read 556 times)

Tblume

• ZOR CLUB
tuna can shim stock, 1.3 crank/timing pulley
« on: January 28, 2019, 05:16:59 PM »

that's right, the pully had something like 90* of advance, so point the dizzy further advanced a tooth, get it to run, sorta... Gay

pull timing belt. twist pully, rattle pully, laugh at stupid pully... I have vid, but I'll figure out how to post that later-  the crank is mangled, the gear is mangled, the key is effed up, like taco'd...

The upshot is this; tuna can shimstock, red locktite "lube" and new woodruff key, it's now an impact press-fit.  Put the dizzy back on where it's supposed to be, re-time the belt (points at 1, points at 4, OMG so much bad info on the internets)

first start and it's a new machine, like new; that death rattle I thought was a big end bearing was the pully, the timing light actually shows the mark where it should be, the dizzy adjusts stuff, SWEET!

webber tuning thence comenceth; smaller jets, wAAAYyy less accelerator pump action and it's actually very well behaved compared to the boggy, jumpy snorty no power having P.O.S. it started as.

ayway, 1.6 on the way, with some gears and stuff from a toyota guy there in AZ, hope it's a good one...

zorproducts

• "Squirrel King" aka "MY" Boss man at ZOR
  • Administrator
  • Located in: Camp Verde, Arizona
  • "Adapt or Die" Don't believe me? Ask a dinosaur...
    • Zorproducts
Re: tuna can shim stock, 1.3 crank/timing pulley
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 11:05:19 PM »

Smallest jets available are for 6 cylinder engine
Fuel bowl open and above the butterfly
Weber is what Weber does

Way to common to have crank bolts to loose and the key bends. Sounds like a good fix.
Stay outta my tree.
And the tree next to my tree and the trees next to that! Or any tree made out of wood for that matter!

Tblume

• ZOR CLUB
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 07:54:42 AM »

it does WOT pretty well on the street, like my rabbit back in the day but less poop.

Good info on the 6cyl jets, thanks.

maybe I ought to look real close at float level, I know for sure the leaks in the base adapters aren't helping and to get them sorted it looks ike taking the top off the webber is called for.... :-)gm

Tblume

• ZOR CLUB
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 09:10:00 AM »

so base gaskets were dry, no sealant.
and loose- like spinning hardware loose... and 3 gaskets? stupid.

I cut out the web between the two factory ports in the manifold, and countoured the throat so it's more like a single venturi below the carb, locktite and sealant on the new gaskets, set the float level correctly, and set the air and fuel screws to baseline. Also plumbed the vac advance to the carb instead of the manifold.

2up
so much better! smooth starts, easy transition from idle to driving, to WOT.

the 4.9 gears in the transfer are a huge deal too- I'm just a size up from stock, and can pull 5th gear easily from around 40mph... need more tire stir pot

zorproducts

• Administrator
    • Zorproducts
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 09:01:58 PM »

I know the rest of this story. Weber was great improvement over what was there before. For awhile. Keep us posted. Invest in a compression tester and check your engine and record it. Record it here for others. It will make for interesting reading. Claims have been made that 9 out of 10 Weber owners were eventually  disappointed. This thread could go either way. A lot of Weber bashing of a lot of Weber praising.

I like to refer to myself as Anti-Weber
Stay outta my tree.
And the tree next to my tree and the trees next to that! Or any tree made out of wood for that matter!

The PHLOOP

• Administrator
  • Located in: ORYGUN
  • THE SPAMINATOR
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 09:13:19 PM »

Kinda wish now I hadnít gotten rid of my Webber.  Had one that was modded that actually worked. The guy that built it is but a faint memory for even us older zuki farts.
DON"T DIE A VIRGIN, TERRORISTS ARE UP THERE WAITING FOR YOU.

Stupidity Should Hurt

Tblume

• ZOR CLUB
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 08:12:01 AM »

I have the stock carb, looks to be complete and may go back that way if the webber becomes a hassle, the proof will be in the driving and wheeling. I found an adapter from the local VW hut- whole corner of the store is Empi parts and dune buggy stuff- the adapter will allow the stock air cleaner to go back in which is a good thing in my mind.

yanked the sway bar and loosened/lubed the shackles and bushings, they are rusty 3" "lift" units that I'll replace with stock hight to get steering angle back, I want to fit 31-33ish skinny super swampers eventually, probably YJ springs SPOA, need more research there.

Now that it's drivable I need to get out in the hills and see what's what.   thumbs up

zorproducts

• Administrator
    • Zorproducts
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2019, 04:42:06 AM »

Sarge couldnít get mine to stop flooding, nor could other Weber gurus. Thatís when I found out about what Weber clones were. I paid the extra money and got the real Weber from Spain not the Chinese knockoffs Redline, Empi and Outlaw.

I swear Weberís are like Calmini. No one should use their services but only the latest to the party do. I am waiting for the next fad to come back and bite a lot of Suzuki people. Toyota clones. One thing I notice is over the long term is that people will try anything from China if itís cheap enough. Wait until they start selling organs cheap.
Stay outta my tree.
Pages: [1]   Go Up