ZORum

Advanced search  

News:

Tired of Facebook drama and haters? Join ZORum and help us reunite the community.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stalling after New Gas Tank  (Read 215 times)

Frangi

• ZOR CLUB
Stalling after New Gas Tank
« on: March 08, 2019, 04:24:06 PM »

I have been dealing with a stalling issue ever since I installed a new gas tank on my 1988.5.

Some background:
My sami came non-running but had a MS1 installed on it. I put a new manufactured motor in and it ran like a dime. Eventually I decided I wanted to tackle the rusty gas tank so I put in the 15 gallon poly tank from petroworks. Later I guess my exhaust loosened a little bit and it ended up melting a good sized hole in it so I ended up going back and putting a new metal tank on as well as a new fuel filter. This is when my issue began.

Ever since then it has been stalling after driving for sometime. It seems to usually happen at 45+ mph although it has happened at speeds below that as well. I believe it to be fuel related as when it happens it tends to lose power and slowly die rather than like the key was turned off. You can start it up again when it happens but usually it will only run for a short time before it will stall again. However if you let it sit for 5-10 minutes you can usually drive for another fair interval of time before it will stall again.

I have gone over the lines multiple times and I believe they are all reinstalled correctly. I ended up replacing all the fuel lines with new ones just to be safe. I also replaced the fuel pump with a new mechanical one. I looked at the distributor just in case and it looks fine, no corrosion or anything. I cleaned the carb and installed a new air filter as well as a new filter for the crankcase vent.

I thought the tank might be pressurizing and causing some sort of vapor lock as sometimes when I remove the gas cap there is a pressure relief noise of air being released. I ended up drilling a small hole in the tank and installing a check valve to relieve the pressure as a secondary vent and that has since gone away.

So far no dice with fixing the stall. Is there anything I am overlooking? Could it be the carburetor? One thing I noticed was that I don't have a fuel pressure regulator or a jeep filter set up for my MS1. It wasn't on the car when I bought it and it ran fine without them before I replaced the poly tank with a new metal one.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

-Frangi

zorproducts

• "Squirrel King" aka "MY" Boss man at ZOR
  • Administrator
  • Located in: Camp Verde, Arizona
  • "Adapt or Die" Don't believe me? Ask a dinosaur...
    • Zorproducts
Re: Stalling after New Gas Tank
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 02:26:27 AM »

First advice is call me. I need to know some things before trouble shooting your problem.
Interested in why 2,000 people need regulators, but you donít. The return line is restricted and back pressuring over a period of time is my first guess. Your description eliminates spark as a potential problem.
714 488 2272
Stay outta my tree.
And the tree next to my tree and the trees next to that! Or any tree made out of wood for that matter!

Frangi

• ZOR CLUB
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 08:16:44 AM »

First advice is call me. I need to know some things before trouble shooting your problem.
Interested in why 2,000 people need regulators, but you donít. The return line is restricted and back pressuring over a period of time is my first guess. Your description eliminates spark as a potential problem.
714 488 2272

Thanks, I'll give you a call hopefully later today when I have some time after work.

1badmotorfinger

• ZOR CLUB
  • Located in: Texas
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 04:29:09 AM »

I'm curious what ended up being the fix for this.
1988 Suzuki Samurai
Redneck Right-Wing Patriot
Firm Believer in God, US Bill of Rights & Constitution
Come & Take It
Pages: [1]   Go Up