ZORum

Advanced search  

News:

Tired of Facebook drama and haters? Join ZORum and help us reunite the community.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mishimoto 92-2000 Radiator Swap  (Read 330 times)

ZukieRen

• ZOR CLUB
  • Located in: That South Western Part of VA
  • I am inspite of, not because of
Mishimoto 92-2000 Radiator Swap
« on: April 11, 2019, 08:55:00 AM »

This has been my first swap endeavor, so bare with me if I don't share everything people need to try it themselves. After 3 years straight of replacing new aluminum radiators, I decided to look for an alternative.

I'm running a rebuilt 1.3 engine with ZOR MYside1 44".

With their Lifetime Guarantee, and hearing from other do it myself mechanics that this is indeed a real deal, I chose Mishimoto to work with. Working with one of their tech reps, we found that that the Honda Civic radiator was a near identical in size swap for the Samurai, only needing mounting flanges welded to the sides if you want to use the stock mounts (picked some up from Summit). This model also has a matching electric fan and shroud that you can get that direct mounts to the radiator, also with that Lifetime warranty. I asked if welding the flanges would void the warranty, but they said no and infact encouraged it. Granted, they said if the mounts failed, they would of course not cover that, but everything else, yes. They want to encourage their clientele to do swaps like this, and thusly I was sold.

With a slight bending of the two stock mounts and drilling holes in the flanges to line up, and a few washers on one side as spacers, it fit like a dream, works better than expected, and dare I say looks stock, or in the least like it belongs there. The fan fits, but boy is it close. The solid mounting of the radiator gives me peace of mind though. While people insist that you can get the 1in id tubing onto the radiator, I had so much trouble, lube and all, that I just decided to replace the upper and short lower hoses to the proper size.

I decided to try out their synthetic coolant just to round out the whole package. With pets, kids, and actually seeing a squirrel drink a puddle of antifreeze I used to be running, I enjoy the fact that Mishimoto Liquid Cool is non-toxic. It was worth paying a bit more for it to me, especially with no more leaks, heh. Took about 1 1/4 gallons to fill the whole thing.

I also got their fan control system, kinda following the same boat, life time warranty and the fact it can run two fans at once, as I'm considering getting an oil cooler.

I may have more to say once the heat of summer arrives,  but all and all I am happy with my swap.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 09:00:01 AM by ZukieRen »
1.3L 8v 1988 (early) Soft Top Samurai, "Zukie"
Fixin 'er Up Since 2017

ZukieRen

• ZOR CLUB
Re: Mishimoto 92-2000 Radiator Swap
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 08:55:41 AM »

Another view.
Fixin 'er Up Since 2017

PeeWee

• ZOR CLUB
  • Located in: Flagstaff, Arizona
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 11:09:45 AM »

That does indeed look great. Always impressed with your work too. You and I would work together well as I despise shortcuts and am very anal about the work I do. Seems to me you work with the same principles.

Great job once again! I hope this is the radiator you've been missing all along and it holds up over time. Be sure to update this occasionally with performance and longevity reports. Could really be a lot of help to some folks for sure.

ZukieRen

• ZOR CLUB
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 07:09:00 AM »

Thanks, I really appreciate the praise. Lol, yeah... the time I put into the wires of the fan control with heat shrink and all that stuff is why my husband always asks, "Why did that take so long?" Lol. Also the amount of time I put into cleaning the engine bay yesterday to remove the old radiator spray deposits.... Yeah, I am super ocd about my work, lol. I bet we would in fact work well together, heh. Why do all of y'all have to live litterally on the other side of the country? :p

I will definitly post updates here as spring passes and summer sneeks up. Some reviews I've read have been from Arizona and it's been able to take the heat, so I'm hopeful our muggy Virginia summer will make it not even blink an eye... if it had one... okay, more coffee :-)gm
Fixin 'er Up Since 2017
Pages: [1]   Go Up