ZORum

Advanced search  

News:

Tired of Facebook drama and haters? Join ZORum and help us reunite the community.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just aquired a 1987 Suzuki Samurai and have questions  (Read 169 times)

wa7spy

• ZOR CLUB
Just aquired a 1987 Suzuki Samurai and have questions
« on: September 13, 2019, 11:04:12 AM »

I was given a 1987 Suzuki Samurai that has been in a barn sitting for 20 years. The head was off and had been rebuilt. Most of the hardware was missing to reassemble the engine. I have obtained missing parts and hardware to put the engine back together. I started the engine yesterday for the first time in 20 years. The engine runs and sounds good! The idle is high and need to sort that out.
The questions I have are:

The check engine light was initially on steady with the engine running. I moved the switch under the dash and the check engine light went out and is staying out. If I move the switch to the other position the check engine light comes back on steady with engine running. Is this normal?

I did the clicky start relay mod. Nothing happened when I used the ignition key to start it. I was able to start the engine by jumpering the red wire to the purple wire on the clicky start relay connector. I pumped the clutch a few times and then the ignition switch started to work. It also now starts without pushing on the clutch with it in neutral. The question I have is there a neutral safety switch or a clutch safety switch? If there is a neutral safety switch where is it located? If it has a clutch switch I have not found it yet? I am guessing the switch may be stuck closed?

I have done a complete brake job new front rotors and pads new master cylinder, new read brake wheel cylinders, new read brake drums and brake shoes and all new tires. This vehicle has the 1.3 carb engine.
I live in CA and will need to get it to pass SMOG.

I am a newbie to the Suzuki Samurai and the Forum!

gribble

• ZOR CLUB
  • Located in: Rapid City, SD
Re: Just aquired a 1987 Suzuki Samurai and have questions
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 06:45:38 AM »

It does have a clutch start relay. It is probably located somewhere near where the arm of the clutch pedal swings. Congrats on the gifted car! They are fun!

heavysquad

• ZOR CLUB
Re: Just aquired a 1987 Suzuki Samurai and have questions
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 03:58:24 AM »

Welcome to the club! The high idle might go away as the engine warms up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up