ZORum

Advanced search  

News:

Tired of Facebook drama and haters? Join ZORum and help us reunite the community.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: J18 (or J20) Sidekick sport water pump replacement  (Read 122 times)

gribble

• ZOR CLUB
  • Located in: Rapid City, SD
J18 (or J20) Sidekick sport water pump replacement
« on: November 25, 2019, 12:19:46 PM »

I ran into some snags changing some of the cooling components on our Sidekick Sport. This one has the 1.8L and finding information on maintenance procedures seems near impossible. The pump wasn't failing or leaking, but I had serpentine belt issues that put extra stress on the bearings, and the pump was making a horrible squealing, so I went ahead and decided to replace it. I also decided to replace the thermostat as well as the upper and lower radiator hoses.

Tip 1: To get the pump off, the entire housing assembly must be unbolted from the engine. There are some bolts that cannot be reached unless the entire assembly, which is four longer bolts, is removed from the engine.

Question: I got everything bolted back up and filled the system, bled it, and all seems well. However, when I go for a test drive, the temp continues to climb into overheat territory. Is there some other trick I seem to have missed?

gribble

• ZOR CLUB
  • Located in: Rapid City, SD
Re: J18 (or J20) Sidekick sport water pump replacement
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 10:32:19 AM »

Update: I totally made a newbie mistake. I don't know how I managed to do it, but I put the thermostat in backwards. So yeah, the longer side goes towards the engine.

Still Zukin

• Administrator
  • Located in: White River, South Dakota
  • Dead Broke Zuker
Re: J18 (or J20) Sidekick sport water pump replacement
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 06:26:24 AM »

And that is how we learn, glad you got it fixed,
Never Squat when You Are Wearing Spurs
Pages: [1]   Go Up