ZORum

Advanced search  

News:

Tired of Facebook drama and haters? Join ZORum and help us reunite the community.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: -Timing Belt Alignment Marks-Distributor Rotor Alignment-Rocker Arm Adjustment-  (Read 1790 times)

zorproducts

• "Squirrel King" aka "MY" Boss man at ZOR
  • Administrator
  • Located in: Camp Verde, Arizona
  • "Adapt or Die" Don't believe me? Ask a dinosaur...
    • Zorproducts

Diagrams and pictures are specific to the 92-98 1.6 16v engine. Direction of rotor in distributor is CCW on all 16v engines but firing order and alignment mark positions are identical with the 1.3 and 1.6 8v engines.

Lower crankshaft sprockets have a mark indicating the TDC throw of cylinders 1 and 4 at the same time. That mark is pointing up at an arrow cast into the oil pump.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 08:39:53 AM by zorproducts »
Stay outta my tree.
And the tree next to my tree and the trees next to that! Or any tree made out of wood for that matter!

zorproducts

• Administrator
    • Zorproducts

The cam sprocket has exactly twice as many cogs so the lower gear rotates twice for one cam rotation. It also has a notch that is pointed up aligning with a notch in the valve cover. First picture shows a cam sprocket laying on a valve cover so you can see the notches. The second picture shows the actual positioning and proper alignment for setting up cam and distributor for number 4 firing. Both marks up are NOT number one cylinder firing.

NOTE the cam dowel pin in slot E (visible at bottom edge of cam sprocket bolt) E dot is directly up.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 08:44:26 AM by zorproducts »
Stay outta my tree.
And the tree next to my tree and the trees next to that! Or any tree made out of wood for that matter!

zorproducts

• Administrator
    • Zorproducts

The cam sprocket has two slots for aligning the cam ALWAYS use the E slot for the locating pin pointing at radiator. ALWAYS use the E dot notch. The I notch and  I dot are not used on SOHC engines.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 12:19:50 AM by zorproducts »
Stay outta my tree.

zorproducts

• Administrator
    • Zorproducts

When both notches are pointing up the TDC is cylinder number 4. The cam rocker arms must be adjusted for the correct Cylinder 4 firing situation. Adjust all 4 valves for cylinder 4 and two other pair. Turn lower crank 1 revolution returning the lower gear to pointing at arrow.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 12:21:06 AM by zorproducts »
Stay outta my tree.

zorproducts

• Administrator
    • Zorproducts

If in doubt of what top dead center to align distributor with get to the rocker arms and check. When lower pulley is installed and the timing cover graph is visible,  rotate the engine to get the lower pulley notch lined up to 0. Remove the valve cover and touch the rocker arms. Which ever cylinder (1 or 4) has both intake and exhaust valve rocker arms loose, is the one that needs a spark.

The rotor needs to be pointing at post 1 or post 4 on the distributor cap. Whichever has loose rocker arms.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 08:46:32 AM by zorproducts »
Stay outta my tree.
Pages: [1]   Go Up