ZORum

Advanced search  

News:

Tired of Facebook drama and haters? Join ZORum and help us reunite the community.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: ECU Placement on 1.6 conversion and 3 speed Auto Trans and BIG 5 speed tech.  (Read 8259 times)

zorproducts

• "Squirrel King" aka "MY" Boss man at ZOR
  • Administrator
  • Located in: Camp Verde, Arizona
  • "Adapt or Die" Don't believe me? Ask a dinosaur...
    • Zorproducts

I will be posting in this thread as I go along on a current project. This one is a early 90 1.6 TBI and 3 speed Tracker auto trans into  Samurai. Soon as I can I will get some pics of the BIG 2 WD 5 speed from Trackers.

I did somethings different on this than usual. Normally I will put the torque convertor lock onto a 12v dash switch but for this DD hunting rig I left the ECU controlled relay and changed to the 4 wire brake light (Tracker/Kick) switch.

Some things you need to have to make this work out for you. When you obtain your auto trans you need everything or else the dealer is going to rape you on parts. SO here is the list.

Auto trans (inspect inside pan prior to purchasing if you can) any broken clips or metal in pan means it needs a rebuild!

The 2WD slip yoke that goes in the tail housing. It will fit the standard Samurai u-joints and you will need it to make the "stubby shaft". It looks like a Samurai slip yoke in teeth and diameter but it is longer and must fully engage the internal needle bearing. You will destroy the bearing if you do not use the correct slip yoke.

The flex plate is called the "deep dish" it is different than a Suzuki sidekick auto flex plate.

Both spacers on each side of the flex plate.

Torque Convertor

Complete shifting assembly with cable.

A shoe or soon to be new product fro ZOR called a "FMP" it will go into the existing cross member. It holds the new auto trans rubber mount.

An engine adapter kit to put the engine in low enough to close the hood and properly align the stubby shaft within tolerances needed to ensure long life on the u-joints. Preferably a rubber mounted kit not a solid mount kit. Of course we used the ZOR motor boat engine mounting kit.

A transmission cooler.

Pics to follow with more tech as I can find the time..... stay tuned!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 12:20:02 PM by zorproducts »
Stay outta my tree.
And the tree next to my tree and the trees next to that! Or any tree made out of wood for that matter!

zorproducts

• Administrator
    • Zorproducts
Re: ECU Placement on 1.6 conversion and 3 speed Auto Trans install tech.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 06:51:59 AM »

Lots of people ask where to put the ECU. Ilike it here for a number of reasons. #1 it is dry, #2 it is very close to the OEM location on the Kicks/Tracks so all the wires reach.

First I put a bracket on top of the steering coloum support bracket. Locate it where you know the ecu will fit without interfering with the duct hoses on the Samurai. This pic is taken with the cluster out and both ducts removed. Place the ECU on the bracket and mark where you will be putting some small welds. REMOVE the ECU and weld bracket in.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 03:34:57 AM by zorproducts »
Stay outta my tree.
And the tree next to my tree and the trees next to that! Or any tree made out of wood for that matter!

zorproducts

• Administrator
    • Zorproducts
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 06:53:39 AM »

This is what it should look like after you have the ECU in but before you put the duct work and cluster back in.

Stay outta my tree.

zorproducts

• Administrator
    • Zorproducts
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 07:04:44 AM »

Another thing we do is keep the Kick/Track fuse block so as to not over burden the old Samurai fuseblock. This also provides more key on power wires as well as always hot power wires for future use.

Stay outta my tree.

lowrangedan

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 09:32:56 AM »

M Y,  im looking to do this very swap, how hard is the wiring harness going to be to do and what mods to the tunnel are you gonna be doing to the tunnel to fit the tran?  im hoping to have this done before Thanksgiving as we are going to moab that week.

On a side note you dont by chance due any doublers for the sidekick yet do you?  Just straight axled a 4 dr for my wife.  Sorry for the hijack.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 07:10:19 AM by zorproducts »

zorproducts

• Administrator
    • Zorproducts
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 07:12:19 AM »

No Dan that doubler project went south for two reasons. Can't find an American gear company willing to work with me and I have been busy for the last 3 years. If you are doing the harness yourself it may take you awhile if you haven't done it before. If I do it you have to land 5 or 6 wires to marry the harness into the Samurai.

I am not going to be able to post pics of the tunnel work yet because I waiting for a rig to get back from paint and want to keep the pictures in this thread in order.

MY
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 07:16:06 AM by zorproducts »
Stay outta my tree.

zorproducts

• Administrator
    • Zorproducts
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 07:20:26 AM »

I will post the pictures out of order so farther in this thread you will find the finished fuse block and where to drill holes in the firewall for the new harness. Here is the process of making the auto trans fit.

Cut off the top of the old crossmember plate

place the new shoe on top, trace around it and cut into the cross member.

While installing engine and trans together tack weld the shoe in place when everything is lined up with the stubby shaft.

Another pic of the ZOR FMePump (aka shoe)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 07:25:24 AM by zorproducts »
Stay outta my tree.

zorproducts

• Administrator
    • Zorproducts
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 07:26:32 AM »

A picture of a ZOR stubby shaft (FYI this one is a Sidekick 2 wheel drive 5 speed. The 3 speed auto is even shorter!

Now onto the tunnel work for the 3 speed. On the driver side I usually make two cuts. The lines are my first, then after a trial fit I remove what I need for clearance. In this case I went about another 1" wider towards the door on the floor.

I use a plasma to cut most of it but to get through the formed steel I just a drop a sawzall in to cut through that.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 07:34:41 AM by zorproducts »
Stay outta my tree.

zorproducts

• Administrator
    • Zorproducts
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 07:40:00 AM »

Passenger side is much easier. Cut along the seam, get under the rig and hammer the tunnel wall over towards the passenger side door. You will have to make a few slits so the wall moves over. Put the seam on top of the floor and reweld the slits and entire seam.

From here I trial fit and ended up cutting 1" closer to the door along the floor (mentioned that all ready).

Finished filling in with sheet metal after trial fit and tacking of the FmePump.

Another picture of the box I make to drop the shifter assembly farther down into the tunnel while also tilting it back to keep the handle off the dash when in park.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 07:42:19 AM by zorproducts »
Stay outta my tree.

The PHLOOP

• Administrator
  • Located in: ORYGUN
  • THE SPAMINATOR
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 06:30:09 PM »

Looking good, I'm thinking of putting an auto in to the extra sami I'm messing with. And you can't fool me, I know what a FMePump is. The question is, will it help the rear of my Sami ride a a little higher and tighter?
DON"T DIE A VIRGIN, TERRORISTS ARE UP THERE WAITING FOR YOU.

Stupidity Should Hurt

lowrangedan

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 02:00:52 PM »

My, how hard would it be to hook a kickdown up on my MYside2?

zorproducts

• Administrator
    • Zorproducts
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 03:15:30 AM »

My, how hard would it be to hook a kickdown up on my MYside2?

Next time we ship something up there I will put in a special bracket to your attention, made for the CV carb that is going to fit the tracker (GMC 3 speed) kick down cable. You will need to figure out to hold the cable but that shouldn't be to big an issue. Probably a bracket that utilizes one of the clamping rods will work just fine.

MY
Stay outta my tree.

zorproducts

• Administrator
    • Zorproducts
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 03:37:26 AM »

OK, I know I am hoping around on this project but here I am going to cover the shifter assembly mods to lower the handle. I like to do this to keep it low and not hit the dash or radio box.

Cut the tube with a pipe cutter exactly between 2.025" to 2.050" below the top.

Cut complete

Here I milled the slots for the handle to lock down into. I also messed this operation up and did them front to back not side to side. You don't need to do 4 slots only two, LOL! Obviously you do not want to hit the inner rod.

Here I used a .500" spacer and made a mark to cut off the rod to the correct height.

Using my dremel I chopped off at the mark.

Using a 4mm x .7 pitch die I ran threads onto the rod. Once all the way down I reversed the die to finish cut the deeper threads.

At exactly .825" down from the top I drilled a #18 drill hole and tapped with a 5 mm x .8 pitch thread for the handle screw.

These shifter assemblys have a solenoid that I like to wire in so that the shifter will not shift out of PARK unless your foot is on the pedal. The blue wire goes to the green/white wire coming off the brake switch. Black to ground. The red/yellow & red/green wires are for the lamp so you can see which gear you are in at night. I wire these in parallel to the fan control plate lamp.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 03:52:07 AM by zorproducts »
Stay outta my tree.

zorproducts

• Administrator
    • Zorproducts
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 06:17:21 AM »

Here are pictures of the shifter cover I made. I will post another up soon of all the switches and power outlets added.

Stay outta my tree.

dadstoybox

• Build it and they will come
  • THG
  • Hustler
    • Haul-A-Round Trailer Sales and mfg.
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 07:26:52 AM »

that looks great
SURE YOU CAN TRUST YOUR GOVERNMENT... JUST ASK AN INDIAN

Support Your Local Search & Rescue.......GET LOST !

Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up